2021 Spring: 二技財金一甲 English
A tentative syllabus
|Course: English||授課教師: 賴淑麗 Shu-li (Sally) Lai|
|授課班級: 財金系二技英文||學分/時數: 2/2|
|Email: email@example.com||Time/Location: Wednesday (10:00 to 12:00) Lab 7|
|研究室: 承曦樓 904 (by appointment)||Course website: http://www.shulilai.idv.tw|
Online materials to be announced (50 dollars)
|Overview of the course
This one-semester class will focus on developing and improving students’ academic listening and speaking skills. Students will listen and respond to a variety of topics, determine the purpose of listening, use multiple strategies to monitor their listening and comprehension, and be able to express their thoughts and opinions in English. Class activities include pre-class listening, in-class group discussion, individual sharing, teacher demonstration, and after-class assignments.
Quizzes & Assignments (in-class & after-class): 60%
To be announced.
Participation and Attendance
1. If you have to miss a class for an unavoidable reason (e.g., sick leave, injury, family emergency), please email me in advance.
2. No late assignments or make-up tests will be allowed.
3. There will be quizzes and exams based on the materials in the textbooks and the materials presented in class. Please preview and review the class materials every week.
2. Background Questionnaire (link)
3. Creating your blog (https://www.blogger.com/)
Create your blog and briefly introduce yourself (3/1 due)
– upload a picture
– briefly introduce yourself (at least 50 words)
– Put your blog link here (link)
– Preview the course materials next week.
|3/3||Podcast and language learning
– Using podcasts to develop listening skills
– 7 Reasons Why Podcasts Are Changing the Way We Learn English
– A list of podcasts
– 12 native English podcasts for Learning English (video)
|#2 English Learning Podcast
Go online and explore some of the podcasts that interest you, and recommend one to us. (3/7 due)
– Name of the podcast
– Link to the podcast
– What is the podcast about?
– Why you recommend this podcast.
|3/10||Podcast: What have you found?
|Explore one of the podcasts your classmates have recommended and give your feedback on their blog posts (at least 1).
– Preview COVID: One year on (Listen and read)
|3/17||COVID: One year on||#3 COVID: One year on
1. Listen to the episode (COVID: One Year on) one more time. (add the link to your blog)
2. Look up the words and find “one” example sentence for each of the keywords. Mark the keyword in a different color.
3. Preview the article we’re going to discuss next week.
|3/24||Working for free|
|3/31||Why do we choose to text instead of talk?
Teens would rather text and chat online with their friends than hang out in real life, study says
Atlanta shootings: ‘It’s scary just to be an Asian American woman.’ (link)
|Review the three articles and be ready for a quiz next week.|
|4/7||The food delivery revolution
|4/14||Invited talk 1 (業界教師演講)
|4/21||TED Talk and Language Learning
|4/28||Invited talk 2 (業界教師演講)
|5/5||Inside the mind of a master procrastinator||#4 Your thought on the talk: Inside the mind of a master procrastinator
1. Do you procrastinate sometimes?
2. What are some of the things you procrastinate on?
3. What are strategies you can use to combat procrastination.
** Review the article and be ready for a quiz next week.
** Continue to work on your project. Keep looking/searching if you haven’t found a good talk/podcast to present.
|5/12||What makes a good life||# 5 What makes a good life
1. Listen to the talk again (add the link to your blog).
2. Six words you would like to learn from the talk. (“one” example sentence for each of the keywords. Mark the keyword in a different color.
** Be ready for another quiz next week.
|5/19||What makes a good life
How to use Google Meet (link)
Be ready for the group presentation next week.
|5/26||G1: Ted Natural Bodybuilding: Become the best version of yourself (link)
G2: Why do we dream? (link)
G3: TED -Who are you really the puzzle of personality? (link)
|Your comments (link)|
|6/2||G4 TED: How to make stress your friend? (link)
G5 Ted talk-Why school should start later for teens (link)
G6 TED How to build your confidence and spark it in others(link)
|Your comments (link)|
|6/9||G7 Podcast Jamie Oliver: How to Make Classic Carbonara(link) (handout)
G8 Teach girls bravery, not perfection (link)
G9 How to gain control of your free time (link) (handout)
|Your comments (link)|
No need to meet on June 16. Just finish the TOEIC Test before 6/16 (12:00)
|MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses)
2. MIT Open courseware
1. Cambridge bilingual dictionary (https://dictionary.cambridge.org/zht)
2. Longman (https://www.ldoceonline.com)
3. Oxford (https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us)
4. Yahoo Kimo (https://tw.dictionary.search.yahoo.com)