2019 Spring: 五專財金四年甲班
|Course: English 4||授課教師: 賴淑麗 Shu-li (Sally) Lai|
|授課班級: 五專財金系四年級||學分/時數: 3/3|
|Email: firstname.lastname@example.org||Time/Location: Tuesday (13:30 to 16:15 pm.)|
|研究室: 承曦樓 904 (by appointment)||Course website: http://www.shulilai.idv.tw|
1. Miller, J. L., & Cohen, R. F. (2014). Longman Academic Reading Series: Reading Skills for College (Book 3), published by Pearson Education. NT $485 (原價570) 東華書局代理 (黃政瑋先生 0912-278-109; 02-2311-4027#407)
2. New TOEIC Test 多益一站800字彙 眾文出版社 (王小姐 02-8369-1198 ext: 24 )
|Overview of the course
This is a one-year four-skill integrated course which prepares students to become more effective and confident readers. While the focus will be on academic reading, vocabulary, and grammar, this class will also encourage students to discuss and write about the ideas they discover in the readings, aiming to make them better speakers and writers of English as well. Students will engage in a variety of activities, including discussion, group activities, and presentation.
Midterm: 20% Quizzes and Assignments: 45% Presentation: 20% Proficiency Test: 15% (為配合高教深耕計畫，本課程實施英語文能力檢測，佔學期成績15%。)
1. If you have to miss a class for an unavoidable reason (e.g., sick leave, injury, family emergency), please email me in advance.
2. No late assignments or make-up tests will be allowed.
3. Please switch your mobile phone to silent mode during class time. Unless it’s used for dictionary look up or for information searching, please don’t use your mobile phone during class time.
4. There will be quizzes and exams based on the materials in the textbooks and the materials presented in class. Please preview and review the class materials every week.
|Date||Major Textbook||TOEIC Book||Assignments|
|2/19||Back to school||TOEIC Vocabulary (p. 123 to p.166)||1. Be ready for Quiz 1 (Unit 6 & Unit 7)
2. Preview Chapter 4.1 The Hippocratic oath – A modern version
|2/26||1. Quiz 1 (Unit 6 & Unit 7)
2. Chapter 4.1 The Hippocratic Oath – A modern Version
|TOEIC (p. 168 to p.177)||Preview Chapter 4.2 The invisible enemy and post the difficult sentences on BB (3/4 due).|
|3/5||1. Chapter 4.2 The invisible enemy
2. All Ears English
3. How to show kindness when someone is sick in English
|TOEIC (p. 178 to p.189)||1. Review AEE423 & AEE1098, and learn the expressions.
2. Review Chapter 4.2
|3/12||1. Quiz 2
2. Chapter 4.2 The invisible enemy
3. Have You Lost Weight? How to Approach This Touchy Situation in English (No. 1110)
|TOEIC (p. 190 to 199)||1. Preview Chapter 6.1 A biography of Vincent Van Gogh and post the difficult sentences on BB (3/17 due)
2. Review All Ears English (No. 1110)
|3/19||1. Chapter 6.1 A biography of Vincent Van Gogh (link)
2. Vincent Van Gogh paintings (Arts Heaven)
|TOEIC (p. 200 to p.208)||Chapter 6.2 The letters of Vincent Van Gogh (3/24 due)|
|3/26||1. Quiz 3
2. Chapter 6.2 The letters of Vincent Van Gogh
3. 梵谷傳 (documentary)
|TOEIC (p.210 to 219)||1. Finish the exercises (Chapter 6.2) and be ready for the discussion next week.
2. Self-study: 6.3 Self-Study Portrait of Dr. Gachet: A timeline
3. TOEIC 1 (I GOT System) (3/31 due)
|4/2||1. AEE 1100: Keep Me Posted! How to Ask Someone to Update You
2. Vincent (Starry Starry Night,by Don Mclean)
|1. Review the podcast (AEE 1100).
2. TOEIC 2 (4/7 due) I GOT System
3. Begin to prepare for the midterm exam.
|4/9||1. Guidelines for the group project
2. Discussion on your group project
|Group Members (link)|
|4/23||1. Seven presentation skills and tips
2.Tip to hook your audience (1)
3. Facial expression & body language (1)
|TOEIC (p. 220 to p.230)||1. Tips for effective group working
2. Review the video we watch today again.
3. Be ready to report your progress on the project next week.
|4/30||1. Group report on your project progress
2. More presentation skills
: What’s wrong with our food system (5 minutes)
: A 12-year old app developer (4 minutes)
Photos from a storm chaser (4 minutes)
– How to speak so that people want to listen (10 minutes)
|TOEIC (p. 232 to p.241)||1. Review the three files
2. Some listening on I GOT
|5/7||TOEIC (proficiency test) 15%||TOEIC (p. 242 to p.253)|
G3: New Zealand
|Tipping in USA|
|TOEIC (p. 254 to p. 264)
|6/4||Quiz 4 (p.220 to p.241) and T & F questions from group presentation.
1. Inside the mind of a master procrastinator (13 minutes)
2. The little risks you can take to increase your luck (11 minutes)
|6/11||1. Quiz 5 TOEIC Vocabulary, (p.242-264), presentation skills (videos and handouts we discussed), TED Talk we watched (4/23-4/30).
3. Open Courseware (edX, Six Minutes English, Randal’s Cyber Listening Lab)
Check your final scores
1. Longman (https://www.ldoceonline.com)
2. Oxford (https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us)
3. Cambridge (https://dictionary.cambridge.org/zht)
4. Yahoo kimo (https://tw.dictionary.search.yahoo.com)
1. Random name picker! https://www.classtools.net/random-name-picker/