2019 Spring: 五專資管三年甲班
|Course: English 3||授課教師: 賴淑麗 Shu-li (Sally) Lai|
|授課班級: 五專資管系三年級||學分/時數: 3/3|
|Email: firstname.lastname@example.org||Time/Location: Thursday (9:00 to 12:00)|
|研究室: 承曦樓 904 (by appointment)||Course website: http://www.shulilai.idv.tw|
1. Aspire: Upper Intermediate Student’s Book 華書局代理 NT$ 550; NT $465 (黃政瑋先生 0912-278-109; 02-2311-4027#407)
2. A variety of online materials
|Overview of the course
This is a one-year four-skill integrated course which prepares students to become confident and effective English learners. While the focus will be on listening and reading, grammar and vocabulary skills will be addressed as well. Students will also be encouraged to discuss and write about the ideas they discovered in the listening and reading, aiming to prepare them for college level English. Class activities include discussion, group activities, and presentation.
Midterm: 20% Quizzes & Assignments (in-class & after-class): 55% Group Project: 25%
1. If you have to miss a class for an unavoidable reason (e.g., sick leave, injury, family emergency), please email me in advance.
2. No late assignments or make-up tests will be allowed.
3. Please switch your mobile phone to silent mode during class time. Unless it’s used for dictionary look up or for information searching, please don’t use your mobile phone during class time.
4. There will be quizzes and exams based on the materials in the textbooks and the materials presented in class. Please preview and review the class materials every week.
|Date||Major Textbook||Listening & Reading Materials||Assignments|
|2/21||1. Back to school
2. Warm up activities
3. A notebook for vocabulary
|1. p. 83 Exercise 3
2. Read the article Different approaches to marriage (page 87), and post 1-2 sentences you don’t understand. (2/27 due).
|2/28||Holiday (No Class)|
|3/7||Unit 7B Different approaches to marriage
Self-Study: 7E National Days (p.92)
Lost and Found (stop motion animation)
|All Ears English||1. Listen to the podcast 2-3 times and learn the expressions. (no. 423)
2. Preview the article Nineteen children and counting (7C p.89) and post 1-2 sentences you don’t understand on BB (3/12 due).
|3/14||Unit 7 Important events
|All Ears English||1. Listen to the podcast 2-3 times and learn the expressions. (No.1110)
2. Preview Making a living as a fisherman in Bangladesh (8C p. 101) and post 1-2 sentences you don’t understand on BB (3/18 due)
|3/21||Unit 8 Get to work
Otter Fishing in Bangladesh – The Last of World’s Otter Fishermen
|AEE 1100: Keep Me Posted! How to Ask Someone to Update You||1. Listen to the podcast 2-3 times and learn the expressions. (No. 1100)
2. Preview 8E Work culture (p. 104) and post the difficult sentences on BB (3/26 due)
|3/28||Unit 8E Work culture
Don’t eat the marshmallow.
|ESL Cyber Listening Lab
||1. Review the materials we discussed today (audio, video, texts).
2. Time to prepare for the mid-term exam.
|4/4||Holiday (No class)|
|4/11||Guidelines for the Group Project
|4/25||Presentation Skills 1
Song & English Learning
1. How to learn English with songs?
|1. Somewhere over the rainbow
2. What a wonderful world
3. One moment in time (Dana Winner)
4. One moment in time (Whitney Houston)
5. You raise me up
6. Someone like you (Adele)
7. Don’t cry for me Argentina (live)
8. Don’t cry for me Argentina (official)
9. Disney theme songs
|5/2||Presentation Skills 2|
|5/9||Presentation Skills 3
1. What’s wrong with our food system?
2. A 12-year-old app developer
3. Grit: the power of passion and perseverance
|How to creat a hook?||1. Review the talks we watched today. Pay attention to their body language, facial expression, talking speed, and ppt.|
|5/16||G1: Numb, by Linkin Park (*David, Oscare, Meloday, Peter, Danny, Leo
G2: Truth to power, by One republic (*Irean, Oscare, Annie)
|5/23||G3: Love yourself, by Justin Bieber (*Emily, Wendy, Posedon, Vanna, Lisa)
G4: No sleep, by Martin Garrix (*Cheryl, Jasmine, Laura, Wendy, Catherine, Amber) (BB files missing)
G5: Head above water, by Avril Lavigne (*Angel, Memi, Elaine, Sharon, Via, Peko)
1. Computer (please download My ET 7.0)
2. Mobile phone (go to market to download)ID: Student No
Log in to NTUB Server (Not Taiwan Server)
|My ET 1
1. SPT test
2. 1.1 Self-Introduction (formal 1)
3. 1.2 Self-Introduction (formal 2)
Due on 5/28 (23:00)
|5/30||G6: Beautiful, by Christina Aguilera (*Emily Lin, Kevin Lu, Jenny, Sunny Hsu) (BB files missing)
G7: Take me home, by John Denver (*Eric, Kevin, Alex, Joe, Jerry Hsu, Allen) Talkscripts missing
G8: Flashlight, by Jessie J (*Sunny, Theodora, Ivy, Judy, Peggy)
|My ET 2
1. 6.1 Daily schedule
2. 6.2 Giving formal instruction
3. 6.5 Pointing out mistakes
Due on 6/4 (23:00)
|6/6||G9: Something just like this, by The Chainsmoker &Coldplay (*Gordaon, Billy, Rios, Goblin, Luke, Issei)
G10: Heavy, by Linkin Park (*Jason 周, Jason 蔣, Arthur, Kenny, Bobway, Timothy)
|Inside the mind of a master procrastinator (13 minutes)
ESL Cyber Listening Lab
Check your scores
For your summer:
1. MIT Open courseware
Review the handouts and videos on presentation skills (10:10)
1. Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
2. Oxford Learners’ Dictionary
3. Cambridge Learners’ Dictionary
1. Random name picker! https://www.classtools.net/random-name-picker/
2. Ramdom name picker! https://www.classtools.net/random-name-picker/85_daKGVW