2015 Fall: 五專財金四年級Applied English
A tentative syllabus
|科目名稱: Applied English||授課教師: 賴淑麗 Shu-li (Sally) Lai|
|授課班級: 五專財金四年級||學分/時數: 2/2|
|Email: email@example.com||Time/Location: Wednesday (13:30~16:15) Language Lab 3|
|研究室: 承曦樓 904 (by appointment)||Course webiste https://www.shulilai.idv.tw|
1. Rogers, L., & Wilkin, J. (2013), Skillful Reading & Writing 2, published by Macmillan. 請洽文鶴書局蒙先生 0988-082-067 (NT$ 442 after discount)
2. New TOEIC TEST 金色證書字彙 (2015) 請洽眾文出版社 莊小姐 (02) 8369-1198 ext: 24 (NT $277 after discount)
|Overview of the course
This is a one-year four-skill integrated course which helps you to learn and improve the reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills necessary for college-level coursework. In this semester, more focus will be on the reading, grammar, and English presentation skills. Class will be implemented in the form of lecture, discussion, group activity, and presentation.
Midterm: 25% Quizzes and Assignments: 35% Project: 25% (oral presentation, ppt, transcript, handout, group diary) Reflection (group & individual): 10% Participation: 5%
1. The tests will be taken on scheduled dates; no make-up tests.
2. You’re responsible for getting class notes and handouts, if late or absent from class. Absence from class will not be an acceptable excuse for missing assignments or tests. Also, late homework will be subject to a penalty of 10 points.
3. If you’re absent for more than three times, you won’t get any points for the participation. (10%)
4. Don’t sleep in class.
5. Use of cell phone is not allowed in class.
6. There will be quizzes and exams based on the materials in the textbooks and the materials presented in class. Please preview and review the class materials every week.
|9/23||Get to know you!
How to use a learners’ dictionary
|Part 1 (p.1 to p.14)||1. Please fill out the form (link) by 9/25 (Friday)
2. Begin to work on your vocabulary book and be ready for the quiz next week.
|9/30||Chapter 1 Nourishment
Foods as Communication
Skimming & Scanning
|Part 2 (p.16 to p.25)||1. Review the article we discussed today.
2. Continue to work on your vocabulary book.
3. Upload your self-introduction assignment before 10/2 (Friday). I won’t take any late assignment.
|10/7||Chapter 1 Nourishment||Part 2 (p.26 to p.40)|
|10/14||Chapter 1 Nourishment||Part 3 (p. 41 to p.50)|
|10/21||Chapter 2.1 Living by the Rules||Part 4 (p. 52 to 61)||1. Review the article: Living by the Rules (p.19)
2. Review the two vocabulary exercises on p.18.
3. As a group, finish the note on page 20. Please draw your group map on a piece of paper (A4).
|10/28||Chapter 2.2 Ants: Master collaborators||Part 4 (p.62 to p.73)|
|11/4||Grammar and Review
Topics for group presentation
|11/18||Presentation Skills||Part 3 (p.74 to p.84)|
|11/25||Songs and English Learning
Perhaps Love (Youtube1/Youtube2/Lyrics)
Somewhere over the rainbow (youtube)
Somewhere out there (youtube)
Tears in Heaven (Youtube) (withi lyric)
|Part 3 (p.85 to p.93)|
|12/2||Presentation Skills||Part 4 (p.94 to p.104)|
|12/9||Presentation Skills (watch some examples)||Part 5 (p.105 to 110)|
|12/16||Group 1, 2, 3|
|12/23||Group 4, 5, 6, 7|
|12/30||Group 8, 9, 10|
|1/6||Test on TOEIC
Assignment for your Winter Break
Happy Winter Vocation!
Note. We’ll adjust the schedule as we go along.