2015 Fall: 四技通識選修Computer Assisted Language Learning
A tentative syllabus
|科目名稱: 電腦輔助英文學習||授課教師: 賴淑麗 Shu-li (Sally) Lai|
|授課班級: 非英語系通識選修||學分/時數: 2/2|
|E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org||Time: Tuesday (1:30 to 15:15)|
|Course website: https://www.shulilai.idv.tw||Room: 語言教室第二教室|
A variety of online materials (audio files, video clips, reading texts, freeware), to be announced.
|Overview of the Course
This course aims to increase students’ understanding of computer assisted language learning. Students will get familiar with the language resources on the Internet, including websites and freeware, and learn how to use these resources to enhance their English skills. Learning strategies will be demonstrated through tasks in reading, writing, speaking, listening, and vocabulary practice. Class activities include lectures, group/class discussion, online discussion, and class presentation.
Assignments (6×9): 54% Self-directed worksheet (2 times, 8%+12% each)=:20% Reflection Paper: 25% Post-Listening Test: 5%
Participation: Participation is crucial to the success of the class and your learning. You’ll explore websites and technologies, and apply them to your own learning. Full participation in the face-to-face class discussion and the blog are required. You’re expected to ask questions, answer questions and share information in different ways.
Link to your blogs
Log in to the online course system
2. Background Questionnaire
3. flash (to save files)
|9/22||1. Pre-listening test||1. Google Blogger-> function -> language -> English
2. What is a blog?
3. How to create a blog on Google? (Part 1/ Part 2)
|1. Preview the article:
An Overview of CALL by Dr. Phil Hubbard (Unit 1)
2. Finish assignment # 1 ( Listening Challenges)
|9/29||No school due to typhoon|
|10/6||(1) My TOEIC Score (Listening section)
(2) What makes listening difficult? Can you list some of the reasons?
(3) An overview of Computer Assisted Language Learning (An Overview of CALL by Dr. Phil Hubbard, 2014) (ppt)
|#2 Log in to the course website and answer the two questions before 10/11 (Sun, midnight)
–please preview the article
Blogging for English language learners
|10/13||(1) Set-up your blog (google blogger)
(A) Blogger getting started guide
(B) Blogging for English language learners
(2) ESL Cyber Listening Lab
| Online tools
(1) Bilingual dictionary
(A) YahooKimo Online Dictionary
(2) Learners’ dictionary
(A) Oxford Advanced American Dictionary
(B) Longman Dictionary of Contemporary Dictionary
|Assignment #1 Greetings!
–Add information to your personal profile, upload your photo, post your first greeting post. (due on 10/18)
Assignment #2 Words from ESL Cyber Listening Lab
–Review the conversation we discussed in class. Go through the steps we have discussed in class one more time.
–Look up at least 5 words that you don’t quite understand in the monolingual dictionary. Post the words and one example sentence each on your blogs. (due on 10/18)
|10/20||(1) Mine the Data for other uses
–ESL Cyber Listening Lab
(2) Linking and Accent reduction
–Accent reduction practice
(3) a file from youtube (link)
C. Cambridge Advanced Learners’ Dictionary
(3) Collocation dictionary
A. Oxford collocation dictionary
| Assignment #3 My thoughts and new findings on ESL Cyber Listening LabHere are some guided questions. You don’t have to stick to the questions. Just write down whatever thought you have. (100 words, at least)
–What did you learn from this week’s class?
–Did you find the websites (ESL Cyber Listening Lab, Linking, Accent reductions) helpful to you? Be as specific as possible.
You’re encouraged to write down whatever thought you have, reflect how how you can use ESL Cyber Listening Lab to improve your learning.
(What can we do with the audio files, scripts, 5 questions for each conversation).
|10/27||ESL Podcast (link)||Note-taking and listening (link)||Assignment #4 My notes on episode 1150.
Please write down your notes on episode 1150: Avoiding topics in conversation.
Your notes could includes newly learn words, expressions, and how the hosts explain the words. You can even comments on this episode. What’s your opinion on avoiding topics in conversation? (100 words, at least)
|11/3||ESL Podcast (link)||(1) Google Syntax
A. Learn some of the major Google syntax such as
filetype, site, related, and quotation marks.
B. Practice using the syntax in finding English learning
|Assignment #5 Google Syntax
–Please try out 5 of the google syntax.
–Have you used Google syntax before? Do you think it’s helpful? How do you like it?
|11/10||More discussion on Google Syntax (Google Syntax)
Online Radio (Radio Tunes)
|Self-Directed Listening/Viewing (Self-Directed Worksheet)
(1) Student plan their own learning, with the guideline
(2) Group discussion of their own plan and feedback from teacher.
|1. Please send your assignment to Kim before 11/16 (Mon, midnight)
Subject: No & English name
2. Please print out your assignment and bring it in next week.
–Group discussion of their own plan and feedbacks from peers and teacher
–Learn English Through Music
|How to evaluate Internet resource
|Have fun with Lyric training!|
|11/24||Song and English Learning
–How to use songs to learn English?
|Assignment #6 My favorite song
Find an English song that interests you and post its lyrics, audio file & video (if any) file to your blogs. Write your comments and the words that you learn from the song. (due on 11/29)
|12/1||Talks on TED (http://www.ted.com/)
(1) Eight secrets of success (TED)
(2) The Key to Success (link)
(3) Steve Jobs’ Stanford Commencement Speech 2005
| Assignment #7 The key to success
1. Review the two talks we discussed in class today and study the transcripts.
2. Please comment on Angela’s talk, about the key to success. How do you like her talk? Do agree with what she said about Grit is the key to success? Please share your experience or observation on your blog (70 words, at least)
Due on 12/6)
|12/8||Talks on TED (http://www.ted.com/)
(1) The power of introvert (link)
(2) I am the son of a terrorist. Here‘s how I chose peace. (link)
|1. Yahoo Kimo Dictionary
2. Oxford Learners’ Dictionary
|Go home and listen to more talks of your choice on TED.|
Online News (News in Levels & BBC)
(1) BBC Learning English (http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish)
(2) News in Levels (http://www.newsinlevels.com/)
(3) BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/)
|1. Unit 2 Session 2 Beijinng (Upper Intermediate)(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5V0rY3lSKU)
2. Jamaica Inn Part 1: Meet Mary Yellan (Intermediate, Unit 1, Session 5)
1. Watch one more online news from BBC learning English. Post the video you watch and comment on the news. (70 words).
2. Listen to the 2nd part of the story “Jamaica Inn Part 2” and see if you like it or not. (Please comment on the story. How do you feel like listening to the stories online. (70 words)
MIT Open CourseWare (http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm)
|1. MIT Open CourseWare (http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm)
2. Open Yale Course (http://oyc.yale.edu/)
| Assignment #9
Self-Introduction 1.1, 1.2
Small talk 1 & 2
–Please preview the article:
|12/29||More Introduction on Open Course Ware
(1) What is a MOOC? (http://www.educause.edu/library/massive-open-online-course-mooc)
(2) MIT OpenCourseWare
(3) EDX (https://www.edx.org/)
(4) 台大開放課程 (http://ocw.aca.ntu.edu.tw/ntu-ocw/)
|1. Self-Directed Learning (2)
Each of you make a feasible plan to demonstrate you now have the ability to make good use of the online resource to achieve your learning goals.
2. Guideline for your term paper (Reflection Paper)
| Please preview the article:
|1/5||Evaluation & Wrap-Up|
|1/12||Reflection Paper (due)
|Reflection Paper (1/12 due)|
Wish you a great summer vocation!
Note: We’ll adjust the schedule as we go along.