2016 Fall: 電腦輔助英語學習 Computer Assisted Language Learning
A tentative syllabus
|科目名稱: 電腦輔助英語學習 (Computer Assisted Language Learning)||授課教師: 賴淑麗 Shu-li (Sally) Lai|
|授課班級: 通識選修||學分/時數: 2/2|
|Email: firstname.lastname@example.org||Time/Location: Tuesday (13:10 to 15:15) Language Lab (2)|
|研究室: 承曦樓 904 (by appointment)||Course webiste: https://www.shulilai.idv.tw|
A variety of online materials (audio files, video clips, reading texts, freeware), to be announced.
|Overview of the course
This course aims to increase students’ understanding of computer assisted language learning. Students will get familiar with the language resources on the Internet, including websites and freeware, and learn how to use these resources to improve their English skills. Learning strategies will be demonstrated through tasks in reading, writing, speaking, listening, and vocabulary practice. Class activities include lectures, group/class discussion, online discussion, and class presentation.
Weekly Assignments: 48% Quiz: 12% Reflection Paper: 20% Group Presentation: 20%
2. Background Questionnaire
3. Flash (to save files)
|9/20||A proficiency test (75 minutes)||Please preview the article: An introduction to computer assisted language learning, by Phil Hubbard, Standford University. Be ready for the discussion next week.|
|9/27||Typhoon (No Class)|
|10/4||– An overview of CALL
An introduction to computer assisted language learning, by Phil Hubbard
– Set up your blog
|| Assignment #1 Greetings!
–Add information to your personal profile, upload your photo, post your first greeting post. At least 80 words. (due on 10/9)
e.g. your major, your interests, your hometown, your goal, etc.
***Late assignment will NOT be graded.
– Preview the three articles about listening strategies.
|10/11||Internet & Listening 1
—ESL Cyber Listening LabDifficult words?
Oxford advanced learners’ dictionary
|| Assignment #2 ESL Cyber Listening Lab
– –Review the conversation we discussed in class. Go through the steps we suggested one more time.
–Look up at least 5 words that you don’t quite understand in the monolingual dictionary. Post the words and one example sentence each on your blogs. (due on 10/16)
|10/18||Internet & Listening 2: Podcast 1
|| Assignment #3 ESLPod.Com
– Listen to the Podcast we discussed in class again. Learn the words in bold.
– Explore other episodes from ESL Pod.com.
– Your comments on ESL Podcast: How do you like ESL Pod.Com? (the content, the topic, the way the teacher introduces the material, the length, the speed) (60 words at least, due on 10/23)
|10/25||Internet & Listening 3
||Assignment #4 Six Minute English
Choose one episode that interests you and write a summary of the episode (60 words, at least, due on 10/30).
|11/1||Google Search Engine
Google Search Operator (link, link, link)
1. 12 tips to search Google like an expert
2. Google Search Tips
3. Reference Book (超神！Google情報檢索術)
4. Google Toolbar
|Review the syntax|
|11/8||Review of Google Syntax||How to add a widget/gadget to a blogger? (Link)||Assignment to finish in class
Update your blog:
Practice adding gadgets (e.g.link list, blog list)
|11/15||Internet & Listening 4: Songs/musicals
1. How to learn English with songs?
2. 56 most inspirational songs of all time
| Quiz 1
1. Google Syntax
2. An overview of CALL
|Assignment #5 English song
–Find an English song that interests.
–Post its lyrics, audio & video (if any) files on your blog
–Briefly introduce the song (Who is the singer? His/Her names and nationality?
–Three words you learned (with one example sentence each)
–Why you likes the song?
(100 words minimum)
|11/22||Internet & Listening 5: Youtube
Important: You need to bring with you an earphone with mic next week.
|Group 1: YouTube & Language Learning (ppt, by Jacky, Adam, Tiny, William & 于燦)|| Assignment #6 Steve Jobs’ Talk
— Create a link of Steve Jobs’ talk on your blog.
— 5 good words/sentences you learn (use learners’ dictionary)
— How do you like his 3 life stories? Can you relate them to any of your life experiences? or Does it inspire you in any way?
|11/29||Internet & Speaking 1: My ET (請記得帶耳麥進教室)
||Group 2: My ET (ppt, by Sandy, Penny, Lucy, Nick, Sally)||Assignment #7 My ET (due on 12/4 (Sun)
—SPT test (3 times)
–2.4 Asking for and receiving directions
–3.1 Checking in (1)
|12/6||Internet & Speaking 2: My ET (need a mic)
||Group 3: Evaluation of an Interactive English Learning CD (ppt, by Tony, Stanley, Kevin, Steve, Kevin)
–Studio Classroom (link)
–Live ABC 互動美語 (link)
|Assignment #8 My ET (due on 12/11)
–6.1 Daily Schedule
–8.1 Fast food restaurant
–8.5 At a business lunch meeting
–If you forget SPT last week, please finish it by Sunday.
|12/13||Internet & Speaking 3: TED Talk
1. Grit: The power of passion and perseverance (6 minutes)
2. A 12-year-old app developer (4 minutes)
3. What’s wrong with our food system (5 minutes)
4. Photos from a storm chaser (4 minutes)
5. Don’t eat the marshmallow (6 minutes)
|Group 4: TED Talk (ppt, by Betty, Cynthia, Yee Fan, Sophia)|| Assignment #9 TED Talk
Listen to one of the talks on TED and read the talk scrip.
(1) Let me know which talk you listened to, then, you can either (2) Post 5 words/phrases you learn (Look up the words in the dictionary and give one example of each); OR (3) share your thoughts on the talk.
|12/20||Internet & Reading 1 (Stories & Dramas)
Dramas from BBC Learning English
|Group 5: Language Testing (ppt, by Yvonne, Patty, Vita & Wendy)
— The Language Training and Testing Center (LTTC)
— Educational Testing Service (ETS)
— TOEIC (Taiwan)
— TOEFL IBT Interactive Sampler (free)
— IELTS (Taiwan)
— Tips on preparing IELTS (HK)
— Free try on IELTS (free)
|1. Guideline for the reflection paper
2. Explore the story and drama sites and see if you like it.
|12/27||Open Courseware 1
1. Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
2. Oxford Learners’ Dictionary
3. Collocation Dictionary
4. Acronym finder
|Group 6: Open Course Ware (ppt, Sansa, Theon, Snow, Rob, Arya)
MOOC: Coursera & Edx
1. Register for an account in edX.
2. Browse the website and find a course that interests you.
3. Watch the video (1 class meeting).
4. List the class you’ve watched (name of the class, from which school).
ps. You’re welcome to share your feelings in attending the MOOCs. (optional)
|1/3||Internet & Reading 2: News
|1/11||Reflection Paper Due (due on 1/7 Saturday)
Check your weekly scores
Happy Winter Vacation!
Free Online Tools
|Oxford Advanced American Dictionary (for English Learners)
|Longman Dictionary of Contemporary Dictionary|
|Cambridge Advanced Learners’ Dictionary||Collins COBUILD Advanced Dictionary|
|Collins COBUILD Advanced Dictionary||http://visual.merriam-webster.com/|
|Yahoo Bilingual Dictionary|
|Collocation dictionary http://www.ozdic.com/|
Note. We’ll adjust the schedule as we go along.