2018 Spring: 二技資管一年甲班 English
A tentative syllabus
|科目名稱: 英文||授課教師: 賴淑麗 Shu-li (Sally) Lai|
|授課班級: 二技資管一年甲班||學分/時數: 2/2|
|Email: email@example.com||Time/Location: Wednesday (10:10 to 12:00) Lab 2 (3F)|
|研究室: 承曦樓 904 (by appointment)||Course website: https://www.shulilai.idv.tw|
A variety of online materials (audio files, video clips, reading texts, freeware), to be announced.
|Overview of the course
In this one-semester class, students will get familiar with the language resources on the Internet, including websites and freeware, and learn how to use these resources to improve their English skills. Learning strategies will be demonstrated through tasks in reading, writing, speaking, listening. Students will discuss and write about the ideas they discover in the reading and listening, aiming to develop their critical-thinking, writing and speaking skills. Class activities include lectures, group/class discussion, online discussion, and class presentation.
Blog Assignments and Quizzes: 62% Group Presentation: 20% Reflection Paper: 18%
5 in a group
|Date||Content||Activities and Tools||Assignments|
|2/28||Holiday (No Class)|
– Background Questionnaire
– Create your blog (link)
– What is a blog? (link)
|#1 Greetings! At least 60 words. Due on 3/12 (Monday midnight)
2. Read the article: Blogging – What is it and why is it popular?
|3/14||Internet & Vocabulary 1
– Dictionary use
– Online tools
– Surfing Dogs (from BBC learning English)– The 8 Best Dictionary Apps to Help You Learn English Faster
| – Online tools
(1) Bilingual dictionary
(A) YahooKimo Online Dictionary
(2) Learners’ dictionary
(A) Oxford Advanced American Dictionary
(B) Longman Dictionary of Contemporary Dictionary
(C) Cambridge Advanced Learners’ Dictionary
|#2 News English (3/19 due)
1. Listen to the news (Surfing dogs) again, then read the transcript.
2. Find 5 words that you want to learn and look up these words in the dictionary.
3. Pay attention to the part-of-speech and example sentences.
4. List the 5 words you learned, indicate their part-of-speech and one example sentence for each.
5. Download 2 dictionary apps to your mobile phone.
|3/21||Internet & Vocabulary 2
– Collocation Exercises
– Collocation Tools: SKELL
– What is SKELL?
the biography of Stephen Hawking
|#3 Collocation (3/26)
Read the biography of Stephen Hawking and highlight 5 words/phrases you want to learn. Use the learners’ dictionary and SKELL to find the information you need. List the possible combinations you learned on your blog.
|3/28||More Exercise on SKELL
|Facebook boss apologises in UK and US newspaper ads|| #4 Collocation (4/2)
Read Facebook boss apologises in UK and US newspaper ads and highlight 5 words/phrases you want to learn. Use the learners’ dictionary and Linggle to find the information you need. List the possible combinations you learned on your blog.
|4/4||Holiday (No Class)||# Add at least 2 gadgets to your blog. (4/9)|
More exercise on Linggle
|#5 Free writing (100 words, at least)
*** At the end of your writing, please indicate the types of tools you use to finish the writing, from the most frequent to the least frequent ones.
Some suggested topics:
http://www.neindiaresearch.org/top-100-interesting-personal-essay-topic-ideas 2. Finish reading the article: How to improve your English listening skills?
|4/18||Internet & Listening 1 (Podcast)
– How to improve your English listening skills?
– ESL Cyber Listening Lab
||# 6 ESL Cyber Listening Lab
– Review the conversation we discussed in class. Go through the steps we suggested one more time.
– Look up at least 5 words you don’t quite understand in the monolingual dictionary. Post the words and one example sentence each on your blogs.
|4/25||Midterm (Reading: 75 minutes)|
|5/2||Internet & Listening 2 (Podcast)
– 6 minute English
– All Ears English
– Tech Tent
– Stuff from the future
– This Week in Tech
|– Content (TOEIC)
– TOEIC Grading
– TOEIC Updates
|5/9||Internet & Listening 3 (Songs)
1. How to learn English with songs?
2. 56 most inspirational songs of all time
| Assignment #7 English song
–Find an English song that interests you.
–Post its lyrics, audio & video (if any) files on your blog
–Briefly introduce the song (Who is the singer? His/Her names and nationality?
–Three words you learned (with one example sentence each)
–Why do you like the song?
(50 words minimum)
|5/16||Internet & Listening 4 (Formal Talk)
|G1 TED Talk||Assignment #8 TED Talk
– Listen to the talks Group 1 recommend to us and study the transcripts.
– Post the talk on your blog (video)
– Three words you learned from the talk (with one example sentence each)
– Your comments on the talk (50 words minimum)
– – Bring earphone with mic to the class next week.
|5/23||Song Sharing 1
Internet & Speaking 1
|G2 My ET||Assignment #9 My ET
1. Unit 1.1 Self-Introduction (formal)
2. Unit 3.1 Checking in
|5/30||Song Sharing 2
Internet & Academic Learning
– What is MOOC?
– How edX works, from Anant Agarwal on edX
– MIT Open Courseware
|G3 Open courseware (edX)
| Assignment 10 EdX
1. Register for an account in edX.
2. Browse the website and find a course that interests you.
3. Watch the video (1 class meeting).
4. List the class you’ve watched (name of the class, from which school).
5. Share your experience/feelings in attending MOOCs or your comments on using MOOCs as learning resource.
|6/6||Internet & Games
– Game and Language Learning (learning while having fun)
– Arcademic Skill Builder
|G4 Game||Explore some of the online games and see if you could find any good ones.|
|6/13||AI and Language Learning
– 5 Resources for Chatbots to be your language learning best friends
–Natural Language Processing with Deep Learning
–What is a chatbot and how does it work?
–What is a chatbot?
–Introduction to deep learning?
|G5 AI and Language Learning|
|6/20||Review & Wrap-Up||Reflection Paper (June 23)|
|6/27||Reflection Paper Due|
Happy Summer Vacation!
Free Online Resource
Learners’ Dictionary Oxford Advanced American Dictionary (for English Learners) Longman Dictionary of Contemporary Dictionary Cambridge Advanced Learners’ Dictionary Collins COBUILD Advanced Dictionary Bilingual Dictionary Yahoo Bilingual Dictionary Google translator Corpus Tool Linggle Reading Websites Newsela is a good site to help students become stronger readers while reading current event articles. Although you have to sign up, the site is free. Dreamreader is a free website with more than 500 reading lessons. Every lesson comes with free audio, a free printable worksheet and a free multiple choice quiz. Easy reading: Here, you can read stories and articles written at three different levels A2 (elementary), B1 (intermediate) and B2 (upper-intermediate).