2020 Fall: 大一通識 Enlgish 1
|Course: English 1||授課教師: 賴淑麗 Shu-li (Sally) Lai|
|授課班級: 四技通識英文(一)||學分/時數: 2/2|
|Email: email@example.com||Time/Location: Wednesday (1:30 to 3:15) Room 7|
|研究室: 承曦樓 904 (by appointment)||Course website: https://www.shulilai.idv.tw|
1.Longman Academic Reading Series: Reading Skills for College (2), published by Pearson Education, Inc. (2014). NT $485 (原價570) 東華書局代理 (黃先生 0912-278-109; 02-2311-4027#407)
2. New TOEIC Test 多益一站600字彙 眾文出版社 (藍小姐 02-8369-1198 ext: 24 )
3. Online materials and handouts.
|Overview of the course
This is a one-year four-skill integrated course that prepares students to become more effective and confident readers. While the focus will be on academic reading and vocabulary, this class will also encourage students to discuss and write about the ideas they discovered in the readings, aiming to make them better speakers and writers of English as well. Students will engage in a variety of activities, including discussion, group activities, and group presentations.對應校核心能力: 外語能力、專業素養
Quizzes & Assignments (in-class & after-class): 40% Midterm Exam: 20% Project: 25% TOEIC: 15% ( 為配合高教深耕計畫，本課程實施英語文能力檢測，佔學期成績15%)
1. If you have to miss a class for an unavoidable reason (e.g., sick leave, injury, family emergency), please email me in advance.
2. No late assignments or make-up tests will be allowed.
3. Please switch your mobile phone to silent mode during class time. Unless it’s used for dictionary lookup or for information searching, please don’t use your mobile phone during class time.
4. There will be quizzes and exams based on the materials in the textbooks and the materials presented in class. Please preview and review the class materials every week.
|Date||Major Textbook||TOEIC Book||Assignments|
|1. Have your two books ready.
2. Begin to work on your vocabulary book.
3. Watch the video (study less, study mart) at least twice.
|9/23||Learning strategies||TOEIC Unit 1 (2-11)||1. Preview Chapter 1.1. Look up difficult words in the dictionary in advance.
2. Work on your TOEIC vocabulary (2-11)
|9/30||Chapter 1.1 Tony the Traveller||TOEIC Unit 1 (12-21)||1. Be ready for the first quiz next week.
2. Finish the exercises (Reading One)
3. Explore Tony’s website.
|10/7||– Reading One: Tony the Traveller
– Tony’s website
– Quiz 1
– The Easy Test System
|TOEIC Unit 1 (21-26) Unit 2 (27-31)||1. Preview Chapter 1.2. Look up the difficult words in the dictionary in advance.
2. As a group, post the difficult sentences (1-2) on BB (due on Monday night).
3. Try the Easy Test system and get used to the interface.
|10/14||– Reading Two: The benefits of studying abroad
– 25 reasons to study abroad
– Top 5 challenges of studying abroad
|TOEIC Unit 2 (32-41)||1. 單字考順延一周
2. Review the article
3. Practice TOEIC
|10/21||TOEIC Proficiency Test (承曦樓607)
|TOEIC Unit 2 (42-51)|
|10/28||Reading Two: The benefits of studying abroad
– Organization of the article
– Guessing from the context
|TOEIC Unit 2 (53-62)||1. Review the exercises we discussed today.
2. Preview Chapter 2.1 Mangoes and Magnolias and post the difficult sentences (1-2) on BB (due on 11/2 Monday night)
|11/4||Chapter 2.1 Mangoes and Magnolias
Day of the dead (10/31 to 11/2)
What is the Day of the Dead?
|11/11||Chapter 2.3 Book review of Mixed: An anthology of short fiction about the multiracial experience
Quiz 3 (Vocabulary from Chapter 1.1, 1.2, 2.1, 2.3)
1. Chapter 1.1, 1.2, 2.1, 2.3
2. TOEIC Vocabulary (53 to 62)
3. TOEIC Vocabulary (Q1 & Q2)
4. Halloween history & tradition
|TOEIC Unit 3 (64-71)||Preview Chapter 3.1 Robots improve health care, helping doctors, nurses, and patients. Post the difficult sentences (1-2) on BB (due on 11/23, Monday night)|
|11/25||– Chapter 3.1 Robots improve health care, helping doctors, nurses, and patients
– Presentation Skills 1
|TOEIC Unit 3 (72-82)|
|12/2||– Chapter 3.1 Robots improve health care, helping doctors, nurses, and patients
– Quiz 4
– Presentation Skills 2
|TOEIC Unit 4 (84-91)|
|12/9||1. 8 secrets of success by Richard John
2. What’s wrong with our food system
3. A twelve-year-old app developer
4. Try something new for 30 days
|TOEIC Unit 4 (92-102)|
|12/16||Oral Presentation 1
G1 This is me, by Keala Settle (Rico, Andy, Iris, Winnie, Sophia, Vicky)
G2 Flashlight, by Fessie J. (Vivian, Michelle, Zola, Ru, Coco)
|TOEIC Unit 5 (104-111)|
|12/23||G3 Shallow, by Lady Gaga (Chen, Ken, Charlie, Jared, Angus, Yao)
G4 See you again, Wiz Khalifa (Gary, Penny, Laura, Luna, Mick)
|TOEIC Unit 5 (112-121)|
|12/30||G5 Do you hear people sing? Les Miserables (Cindy, Jean, Annie, Nico)
G6 Speechless, Naomi Scott (Alan, Willy, Betty, Rae, Hazel, Yuri)
|TOEIC Unit 5 (122-124)|
|1/6||Chapter 3.1 Robots improve health care, helping doctors, nurses, and patients|
|1/13||Quiz 5 (Chapter 3.1, TOEIC P. 84 to 124)
|Winter Break Assignment
(TOEIC: Unit 6 & Unit 7)
2. Longman (https://www.ldoceonline.com)
3. Oxford (https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us)
4. Yahoo Kimo (https://tw.dictionary.search.yahoo.com)
1. Random name picker! https://www.classtools.net/random-name-picker/