2015 Fall: 四技商務一年甲班
Song Project (Fall, 2015)
|About the project:
This semester, you’re going to do an English song project and give an English powerpoint presentation.
Your presentation need to include the following information:
1. Your motivation: Is there anything special about the song? Why did your group choose this song?
2. The background of the song: The history of the song, or the story behind the song.
3. The singer: Who is the singer? His/her background.
4. The lyric
5. Vocabulry/phrases/sentences you learned
6. Your comments on the song.
|Length of the presentation: 15-18 minutes (make sure you finish everything in the allotted time)|
|Language: English only|
|Documents needed for this project:
1. PPT file
— An Introduction: Is there anything special about the song? Why did your group choose this song?
— The background of the song: The history of the song, or the story behind the song.
— The singer: Who is the singer? His/her background.
— The lyric
— The video and the link to the video
— Vocabulry/phrases/sentences you learned/
— Your comments on the song.2. Class handout
Please prepare a class handout (1-2 pages) for each of your classmates.
— Anything you think that might help your audience better understand your presentation, or the song you chose.
–You could also list some of the good words/phrases/sentences that you learned from the talk.3. 書面報告 (超級重要)
(1) A printed version of your ppt, (2) your talk script, and (3) the class handout you prepared.
— On the day your present, please give me a printed version of your ppt (6 slides on one page, double-sided) and a copy of your talk script (as a group)
— Please also attach a copy of the lyric of the song.
— Group leader send the finalized files to the RA in two days after your group presentation.Final Reminder:
1. Please email me your ppt file one week before your presentation so I could give you some comments before you present in class. Also, I’ll put your file online so your classmates could take a look before they hear your talk.
2. When doing your presentation in class, you can play “part of the song”–the parts that impressed you the most. (3 to 3.5 minutes, maximum).
Creating an effective powerpoint presentation
|Group||Name of the Song||Group Presentation (Video)||PowerPoint|
|1||What are words, by Chris Medina||video|
|2||Lost stars, by Adam Levine||video|
|3||Try, by Colbie Caillat||video|
|4||All of me, by John Legend||video|
|5||Because of you, by Kelly Clarkson||video|
|6||La la la, by Naughty boy||video|
|7||Happy, by Parrel Williams||video|
A tentative syllabus
|科目名稱: 基礎英文||授課教師: 賴淑麗 Shu-li (Sally) Lai|
|授課班級: 四技國際商務一甲||學分/時數: 2/2|
|Email: firstname.lastname@example.org||Time/Location: Tuesday (10:10~12:00) Language Lab 2|
|研究室: 承曦樓 904 (by appointment)||Course webiste https://www.shulilai.idv.tw|
1. Rogers, L., & Wilkin, J. (2013), Skillful Reading & Writing 2, published by Macmillan. 請洽文鶴書局蒙先生 0988-082-067 (NT$ 442 after discount)
2. New TOEIC TEST 金色證書字彙 (2015) 請洽眾文出版社 莊小姐 (02) 8369-1198 ext: 24 (NT $277 after discount)
|Overview of the course
This is a one-year four-skill integrated course which helps you to learn and improve the reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills necessary for college-level coursework. In this semester, more focus will be on the reading, grammar, and English presentation skills. Class will be implemented in the form of lecture, discussion, group activity, and presentation.
Midterm: 25% Quizzes and Assignments: 35% Project: 25% (oral presentation, ppt, transcript, handout, group diary) Reflection (group & individual): 10% Participation: 5%
|Date||Major textbook||Vocabulary book||Assignments|
|9/22||No class due to typhoon||Part 1 (p.1 to p.14)||Please fill in your basic data here (link to the google doc)|
|9/29||Chapter 1.1 Food as Communication
Skimming & Scanning
|Part 2 (p.16 to p.25)||1. Review the article we discussed today.
2. Continue to work on your vocabulary book.
3. Post your introduction before 10/11 (Sunday). At least 100 words. (請至系統個人區=>我的資訊 將資料填寫完整)
4. Preview the next article.
|10/6||Chapter 1.1 Food as Communication||Part 2 (p.26 to p.40)|
|10/13||Chapter 1.2 Farms of the Future||Part 2 (p. 41 to p.50)||As a group, please answer the two questions on the BBS.
議題討論區 (10/16 17:00 Friday due)
|10/20||Chapter 2.1 Living by the Rules||Part 3 (p. 52 to 61)|
|10/27||Grammar and Vocabulary Skills||Part 3 (p.62 to p.73)|
|11/3||Grammar & Vocabulary Skills
Group presentation (topics, rules, & groping)
|11/17||Presentation Skills||Part 3 (p.74 to p. p.84)|
|11/24||Song and English Learning
Perhaps Love (Youtube1/Youtube2/Lyrics)
|Part 3 (p.85 to p.93)|
|12/1||Presentation Skills||Part 4 (p.94 to p.104)|
|12/8||Presentation Skills (Some examples)||Part 5 (p.105 to 110)|
|12/15||Group 1 & 2|
|12/22||Group 3, 4, & 5|
|12/29||Group 6 & 7
Test on TOEIC Vocabulary (p.94 to p.110)
|1/12||Wrap-Up & Check your scores|
Happy Winter Vacation!
Free Online Tools
|Cambridge Advanced Learners’ Dictionary||Oxford Advanced Learners’ Dictionary|
|Longman Dictionary of Contemporary Dictionary||Oxford Advanced American Dictionary (for English Learners)
|Collins COBUILD Advanced Dictionary||http://visual.merriam-webster.com/|
|Yahoo Bilingual Dictionary|
Note. We’ll adjust the schedule as we go along.