2016 Fall: 四技會資一乙
Song Project (Accounting, Fall, 2016)
|About the project:
This semester, you’re going to do an English song project and give an English powerpoint presentation.
Your presentation need to include the following information:
1. Your motivation: Is there anything special about the song? Why did your group choose this song?
2. The background of the song: The history of the song, or the story behind the song.
3. The singer: Who is the singer? His/her background.
4. The lyric
5. Vocabulary/phrases/sentences you learned
6. Your comments on the song.
|Length of the presentation: 15-18 minutes (make sure you finish everything in the allotted time)|
|Language: English only|
|Documents needed for this project:
1. PPT file
— An Introduction: Is there anything special about the song? Why did your group choose this song?
— The background of the song: The history of the song, or the story behind the song.
— The singer: Who is the singer? His/her background.
— The lyric
— The video and the link to the video
— Vocabulry/phrases/sentences you learned/
— Your comments on the song.
2. Class handout
Please prepare a class handout (1-2 pages) for each of your classmates.
— Anything you think that might help your audience better understand your presentation, or the song you chose.
–You could also list some of the good words/phrases/sentences that you learned from the talk.
3. 書面報告 (超級重要) (-20)
(1) A printed version of your ppt, (2) your talk script, and (3) the class handout you prepared.
— On the day your present, please give me a printed version of your ppt (6 slides on one page, double-sided) and a copy of your talk script (as a group)
— Please also attach a copy of the lyric of the song.
— Group leader upload the finalized files to the blackboard in two days after your group presentation.Final Reminder:
1. Please upload the files (ppt, talk script, handout) to Blackboard ONE WEEK before your presentation so I could give you some comments before you present in class.
2. When doing your presentation in class, you can play “part of the song”–the parts that impressed you the most. (3 to 3.5 minutes, maximum).
Creating an effective powerpoint presentation
|Group||Name of the Song||Group Presentation (Video)||PowerPoint|
A tentative syllabus
|科目名稱: 英文 (一)||授課教師: 賴淑麗 Shu-li (Sally) Lai|
|授課班級: 四技會資一乙||學分/時數: 2/2|
|Email: email@example.com||Time/Location: Wednesday (10:10~12:00) 語言中心 Lab 2|
|研究室: 承曦樓 904 (by appointment)||Course webiste https://www.shulilai.idv.tw|
1. Miller, J. L., & Cohen, R. F. (2014). Longman Academic Reading Series: Reading Skills for College (3), published by Pearson Education. NT 485 (原價570) 東華書局代理 (黃政瑋先生 02-2311-4027; 0912-278-109)
2. Vocabulary in use (Intermediate). 華泰文化 NT680 (原價 860)
|Overview of the course
This is a one-year four-skill integrated course which prepares students to become more effective and confident readers. While the focus is on reading, this class also encourages students to discuss and write about the ideas they discovered in the readings, aiming to make them better speakers and writers of English as well. Class will be implemented in the form of lecture, discussion, group activity, and presentation.
Midterm: 20% Final: 15% Quizzes and Assignments: 35% Project: 25% Participation: 5%
|Date||Major textbook||Vocabulary book or Activities||Assignments|
|9/21||Chapter 1.1 The extraordinary life of Steve Jobs
|Unit 1 & 2|
|9/28||Typhoon (No class)||Unit 3 & 4|
|10/5||Chapter 1.2 The Pixar Story
|Unit 5, 6, 7|
|10/12||Chapter 1.3 The Map of Innovation||Unit 8, 9, 10|
|10/19||Chapter 2.1 When does a fear become a phobia?||Unit 11, 12, 13|
|10/26||通識研討會 (行政大樓8F音樂廳) 10:15 開幕式, 請務必準時||Unit 14, 15, 16|
|11/2||Steve Jobs’ Commencement address on June 12, 2005 (link)|
|11/16||Guidelines for Group Project
|Unit 17, 18, 19||Preview Chapter 3.1|
|11/23||Presentation Skills 1 (handout)||Unit 20, 21, 22|
|11/30||Presentation Skills 2
1. Eight secrets to success (link)
2. Grit: The power of passion and perseverance (link)
|Unit 23, 24, 25|
|12/7||Chapter 3.1 An Interview with Michael Pollan
Michael Pollan on “Food Rules: An Eater’s Manual” (video)
|Unit 26, 27, 28|
|12/14||Group presentation: G1, G2
What’s wrong with our food system (4 minutes)
|Unit 29, 30, 31|
|12/21||Group presentation: G3, G4||Unit 32, 33, 34|
|12/28||Group presentation: G5, G6|
|1/4||Chapter 3.1 An Interview with Michael Pollan
Michael Pollan on “Food Rules: An Eater’s Manual”
| Final Exam:
–Unit 23 to 34
|1/11||Final Exam|| Assignment for the Winter break
Unit 35 to Unit 59
Happy Winter Vacation!
Free Online Tools
|Oxford Advanced American Dictionary (for English Learners)
|Longman Dictionary of Contemporary Dictionary|
|Cambridge Advanced Learners’ Dictionary||Collins COBUILD Advanced Dictionary|
|Yahoo Bilingual Dictionary||Google translator|
Note. We’ll adjust the schedule as we go along.