2018 Spring: 五專企管二年甲班
A tentative syllabus
|科目名稱: 英文 (二)||授課教師: 賴淑麗 Shu-li (Sally) Lai|
|授課班級: 五專企管2年級||學分/時數: 3/3|
|Email: firstname.lastname@example.org||Time/Location: Monday (13:30 to 16:15), Room 7|
|研究室: 承曦樓 904 (by appointment)||Course website: https://www.shulilai.idv.tw|
|Overview of the course
This is a one-year four-skill integrated course which helps students to develop fluency in English and equip them with the learning strategies needed for autonomous learning. While more focus will be on reading, grammar, and vocabulary, students will be also encouraged to discuss and write about the ideas they discover in the reading, aiming to develop their critical-thinking, speaking, and writing skills. Class activities include discussion, group activities, and presentation.
Midterm Exam: 25% Country Project: 25% Quizzes, Assignments & Participation (in-class & after-class): 50%
You’ll be forming into groups of four, and finish the reading project together. About every two weeks, you’ll be assigned to read an article online. Read the articles together and finish the exercises together. Discuss if you have any difficulties. In class, you’ll take turn to present the article.
|Date||Major textbook||Grammar Book||Assignments|
|2/26||1. Back to School
2. Ground rules
3. Grouping: 4 in a group.
4. Human Bingo
|1. Preview Unit 4C (p.51) A better life.
2. Finish Grammar Book Chapter 5. (all the exercises)
3. Decide your seat. Come earlier next week. Stay with your group members so it will be easier if we have group work in class.
1. Unit 4C A better life? (p.51)
2. Dick Whittington (link)
|Chapter 5 連接詞||1. Listen to Dick’s story again.
2. Review Unit 4C (Content & Vocabulary)
3. Preview Grammar Book Chapter 6 (all exercises).
|3/12||1. Jack and the beantalk (link)
2. Professions and Occupations (worksheet)
3. Unit 4D Would you mind…
4. Unit 4E I’m enclosing my resume
|Chapter 6 動詞時態 (6-1, 6-2)||1. Review 4D & 4E
2. Preview 5C The real cost of travel (p.63)
3. Preview Grammar Book Chapter 6-3 & 6-4.
1. Check your grammar book and collect the worksheet (take home assignment)
2. Type your story on BB (as a group)
3. 4d Would you mind…? (reading job requirements)
4. 4e I’m enclosing my resume (email writing)
| Chapter 6 動詞時態 (6-3, 6-4)
|1. Review the job advertisement & the cover letter.
2. Listen to the news story Surfing Dogs again and review the words.
3. Preview Grammar book Chapter 7 (7-1 & 7-2) and finish the exercises.
|3/26||5c The real cost of travel
Transport and Travel (Scene 1)
Glacier Dog Sledding
|Chapter 7 疑問句 (7-1, 7-2)||1. Review 5C, 5D
2. Preview Grammar book Chapter 7 (7-3)
1. Easter (link) (link)
2. 5d Is something wrong?
3. European Travel Skills (Part I)
|Chapter 7 疑問句 (7-3)|
|4/9||Spring Break (No Class)|
|4/16||Guidelines for the Group Project
|4/30||Discussion on your group project
8 Secrets of Success
|Chapter 8 被動句|
|5/14||6c A caffeine-fueled world
|Chapter 9 關係子句|
6c A caffeine-fueled world
What is life really like in Estonia?
Tallinn (the capital)
Quiz 4 Chapter 8
|Chapter 10 其他重要句型|
G9 IsraelQuiz 5 (Chapter 9)
|Please upload your files to BB before June 11 (Monday)
2. talkscripts. Please combine all the talkscripts into one. Be careful about the format, and be consistent. (font, size, alignment)
4. Link to the video files if any.
|6/11||Chapter 9 關係子句
Chapter 10 其他重要句型
Quiz 6 (Chapter 10)
|6/18||Holiday (No Class)|
Happy Summer Vacation!
Free Online Resource
Learners’ Dictionary Oxford Advanced American Dictionary (for English Learners) Longman Dictionary of Contemporary Dictionary Cambridge Advanced Learners’ Dictionary Collins COBUILD Advanced Dictionary Bilingual Dictionary Yahoo Bilingual Dictionary Google translator Corpus Tool Linggle Reading Websites Newsela is a good site to help students become stronger readers while reading current event articles. Although you have to sign up, the site is free. Dreamreader is a free website with more than 500 reading lessons. Every lesson comes with free audio, a free printable worksheet and a free multiple choice quiz. Easy reading: Here, you can read stories and articles written at three different levels A2 (elementary), B1 (intermediate) and B2 (upper-intermediate).