2020 Fall: 五專財金四甲 English 4
|Course: English 4||授課教師: 賴淑麗 Shu-li (Sally) Lai|
|授課班級: 五專財金系四年級||學分/時數: 3/3|
|Email: firstname.lastname@example.org||Time/Location: Monday (13:30 to 16:10) Room 2|
|研究室: 承曦樓 904 (by appointment)||Course website: http://www.shulilai.idv.tw|
1.Longman Academic Reading Series: Reading Skills for College (2), published by Pearson Education, Inc. (2014). NT $485 (原價570) 東華書局代理 (黃先生 0912-278-109; 02-2311-4027#407)
2. New TOEIC Test 多益一站600字彙 眾文出版社 (藍小姐 02-8369-1198 ext: 24 )
3. Online materials and handouts.
|Overview of the course
This is a one-year four-skill integrated course that prepares students to become more effective and confident readers. While the focus will be on academic reading and vocabulary, this class will also encourage students to discuss and write about the ideas they discovered in the readings, aiming to make them better speakers and writers of English as well. Students will engage in a variety of activities, including discussion, group activities, and group presentations.對應校核心能力: 外語能力、專業素養
Quizzes & Assignments (in-class & after-class): 40% Midterm Exam: 20% Project: 25% TOEIC: 15% ( 為配合高教深耕計畫，本課程實施英語文能力檢測，佔學期成績15%)
1. If you have to miss a class for an unavoidable reason (e.g., sick leave, injury, family emergency), please email me in advance.
2. No late assignments or make-up tests will be allowed.
3. Please switch your mobile phone to silent mode during class time. Unless it’s used for dictionary lookup or for information searching, please don’t use your mobile phone during class time.
4. There will be quizzes and exams based on the materials in the textbooks and the materials presented in class. Please preview and review the class materials every week.
|Date||Major Textbook||TOEIC Book||Assignments|
|1. Have your two books ready.
2. Begin to work on your vocabulary book.
3. Watch the video (study less, study mart) at least twice.
|9/21||Study tips: Study less, study smart||TOEIC Unit 1 (2-11)||1. Preview Chapter 1.1. Look up difficult words in the dictionary in advance.
2. Work on your TOEIC vocabulary (2-11)
|9/28||– Chapter 1 Cultural studies: The lessons of travel
– Reading One: Tony the Traveller
– Tony’s website
– Finish the graphic organizer with your members
– Teachers’ Day
|TOEIC Unit 1 (12-21)||1. Be ready for the first quiz next week.
2. Finish the exercises (Reading One)
3. Preview Chapter 1.2. Look up the difficult words in the dictionary in advance.
|10/5||– Reading One: Tony the Traveller
– Tony’s website
– Quiz 1
– TOEIC official website
|TOEIC Unit 1 (21-26) Unit 2 (27-31)||1. Preview Chapter 1.2. Look up the difficult words in the dictionary in advance.
2. As a group, post the difficult sentences (1-2) on BB (due on Friday night).
|10/12||TOEIC Proficiency Test||TOEIC Unit 2 (32-41)|
|10/19||Reading Two: The benefits of studying abroad
– 25 reasons to study abroad
– Top 5 challenges of studying abroad
|TOEIC Unit 2 (42-51)||1. Review the article
2. Finish the exercise on page 11, 12, 13, and 14.
3. Preview Chapter 2.1 Mangoes and Magnolias (BB due on 10/24, Saturday night)
|10/26||Reading Two: The benefits of studying abroad
– Organization of the article
– Guessing from the context
|TOEIC Unit 2 (53-62)||1. Review the exercises we discussed today.
2. Read Chapter 2.1 one more time and be ready for the discussion.
3. Preview Chapter 2.3 Book review of Mixed and post the difficult sentences (1-2) on BB (Due on 10/31, Saturday night)
|11/2||Chapter 2.1 Mangoes and Magnolias||1. Review Chapter 2.1.
2. Read Chapter 2.3 and try to finish some of the exercises.
3. Be ready for Quiz 3.
|11/9||Chapter 2.3 Book review of Mixed: An anthology of short fiction about the multiracial experience
Quiz 3 (Vocabulary from the four book chapters)
– Chapter 1.1, 1.2, 2.1, 2.3
– TOEIC Vocabulary (P.42 to P62)
– Items from Q1 & Q2
– The video we watched in class
|TOEIC Unit 3 (64-71)||1. Preview Chapter 3.1 Robots improve health care, helping doctors, nurses, and patients. Post the difficult sentences (1-2_ on BB (due on 11/21, Saturday night)|
|11/23||– Chapter 3.1 Robots improve health care, helping doctors, nurses, and patients
|TOEIC Unit 3 (72-82)||1. Explore the website Lyricstraining and try some of the songs.
2. Begin to work on your term project.
3. Be ready for the quiz next week.
|11/30||– Chapter 3.1 Robots improve health care, helping doctors, nurses, and patients
|TOEIC Unit 4 (84-91)|
|12/7||1. 8 secrets of success by Richard John
2. What’s wrong with our food system
3. A twelve-year-old app developer
4. Try something new for 30 days
|TOEIC Unit 4 (92-102)|
|12/14||G1 Without me, by Halsey (Shopping, Kale, Teresa, Alice, Jenny)
G2 Lost stars, by Adam Levine (Sharon. Jim, Wilbur, Leo, Louie)
G3 22, by Taylor Swift (Judy, Elaine, Eileen, Lila, Lillian)
|TOEIC Unit 5 (104-111)|
|12/21||G4 Hakuna Matata, from Lion King (Joanna, Jia, Worldpeace, Joyce, Annie)
G5 City of Stars, by Duet ft. Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone (Ruby, Peggy, Amy, Joyce, Olivia, Britney)
G6 Homecoming, by Kanye West (Wesley, Eric, Claire, Emma, Iris)
|TOEIC Unit 5 (112-121)|
|12/28||G7 See you again, by Wiz Khalifa ft. Charlie Puth
G8 Shallow, by Lady Gaga
G9 Scars to your beautiful, by Alessia Cara (Sheila, Jennifer, Annie, Nancy, Alex)
G10 Thank you, next, by Ariana Grande (Nicole, Polin, Xin, Bird, Judy, Aubrey)
|TOEIC Unit 5 (122-124)||1. Please preview Chapter 3.1. We’ll try to finish Chapter 3.2 next Thursday.
2. We’ll finish the exercises in Chapter 3.1 too.
3. Be ready for our final quiz on January 11.
|1/4||Chapter 3.1 Robots improve health care, helping doctors, nurses, and patients
Video 1, Video 2, Video 3
Review and check the exercise
Quiz 5 (TOEIC p.84 to p.124)
|1/11||Quiz 6 (Chapter 3 & Guidelines for the presentation skills)
|Winter Break Assignments
(TOEIC: Unit 6 & Unit 7)
2. Longman (https://www.ldoceonline.com)
3. Oxford (https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us)
4. Yahoo kimo (https://tw.dictionary.search.yahoo.com)
1. Random name picker! https://www.classtools.net/random-name-picker/