2019 Fall: 五專財稅四年甲班
|Course: English 4||授課教師: 賴淑麗 Shu-li (Sally) Lai|
|授課班級: 五專財稅系四年級||學分/時數: 3/3|
|Email: email@example.com||Time/Location: Tuesday (9:10 to 12:00 am.)|
|研究室: 承曦樓 904 (by appointment)||Course website: https://www.shulilai.idv.tw|
1.Longman Academic Reading Series: Reading Skills for College (2), published by Pearson Education, Inc. (2014). NT $485 (原價570) 東華書局代理 (黃政瑋先生 0912-278-109; 02-2311-4027#407)
2. New TOEIC Test 多益一站800字彙 眾文出版社 (王小姐 02-8369-1198 ext: 24 ) NT$277 (原價 $350)
3. Online materials and handouts.
|Overview of the course
This is a one-year four-skill integrated course that prepares students to become more effective and confident readers. While the focus will be on academic reading and vocabulary, this class will also encourage students to discuss and write about the ideas they discovered in the readings, aiming to make them better speakers and writers of English as well. Students will engage in a variety of activities, including discussion, group activities, and group presentations.
Quizzes & Assignments (in-class & after-class): 40% Midterm Exam: 20%
Project: 25% TOEIC: 15% ( 為配合高教深耕計畫，本課程實施英語文能力檢測，佔學期成績15%)
1. If you have to miss a class for an unavoidable reason (e.g., sick leave, injury, family emergency), please email me in advance.
2. No late assignments or make-up tests will be allowed.
3. Please switch your mobile phone to silent mode during class time. Unless it’s used for dictionary lookup or for information searching, please don’t use your mobile phone during class time.
4. There will be quizzes and exams based on the materials in the textbooks and the materials presented in class. Please preview and review the class materials every week.
|Date||Major Textbook||TOEIC Book||Assignments|
|Preview Chapter 1|
|9/17||Chapter 1 Reading One Tony the traveler
Do you like traveling?
|TOEIC Unit 1 (2-11)||Finish Reading One.|
|9/24||1. Chapter 1 Reading One Tony the traveler
2. Tony’s website
3. The Blind Traveller trying to visit every country in the world – BBC Travel Show (Video)
4. Blind Man Travelling Solo (TED Talk)
|TOEIC Unit 1 (12-21)||1, Visit Tony’s website and know more about him.
2. Preview Reading Two and look up the words you do not understand in the book. Write the definition next to the words.
|10/1||Chapter 1 Reading Two
The benefits of studying abroad
|TOEIC Unit 2 (22-31)|
Language Proficiency Test
|TOEIC Unit 2 (32-41)||1. Preview Chapter 2 Reading One (p.28).|
|10/15||Chapter 2 Reading One
Mangoes and Magnolias
1. Pumpkin season
2. Pumpkin season
|TOEIC Unit 3 (42-51)||1. Review Chapter 2 Reading 1
2. Install BBC & CNN apps to your smartphone.
|10/22||Chapter 2 Reading Two
International Sloth Day
Why are sloths so slow?
|TOEIC Unit 3 (52-61)|
|10/29||Discussion and Review
How to make a jack o lantern
The history of Jack o Lantern
|11/12||Guideline of the group project
Presentation Skill (1)
|TOEIC Unit 3 (62-71)|
|11/19||Presentation Skill (2)||TOEIC Unit 3 (72-81)|
|11/26||Chapter 3 Health Science: High tech, low tech, no tech
|TOEIC Unit 4 (82-91)|
|12/3||1. Eight secrets of success (Speed, body language, quality of ppt)
2. What’s wrong with our food system (speed, body language
3. A twelve-year-old app developer
4. Try something new for 30 days (speed, body language, facial expression, powerpoint slide, humor)
5. Grit: The power of passion and perseverance.
|TOEIC Unit 4 (92-101)|
|12/10||G1 Memories, by Maroon 5
G2 Older, by Sasha Sloan
G3 Nails Hair Hips Heels, by Todrick
|TOEIC Unit 4 (102-111)
Body Language (Non-verbal)
|12/17||G4 Speechless, by Naomi Scott
G5 Summer, by Calvin-Harris (no outline)
G6 Do you hear the people sing? by Eddie Redmayne & Aaron Kyle Tveit
G7 Wasted Nights, by One OK Rock
|TOEIC Unit 5 (112-122)|
|12/24||G8 Love Yourself, by Justin Bieber
G9 Way Back Home, by Shaun ft. Conor Maynard
G10 There! Right there, by Laura Bell Bundy
|12/31||Holiday (No Class)|
Unit 6 & Unit 7
1. Cambridge bilingual dictionary (https://dictionary.cambridge.org/zht)
2. Longman (https://www.ldoceonline.com)
3. Oxford (https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us)
4. Yahoo Kimo (https://tw.dictionary.search.yahoo.com)
1. Random name picker! https://www.classtools.net/random-name-picker/