2019 Fall: 大一通識
|Course: English (一)||授課教師: 賴淑麗 Shu-li (Sally) Lai|
|授課班級: 四技通識 (一)||學分/時數: 2/2|
|Email: firstname.lastname@example.org||Time/Location: 13:30 to 15:15 (Room 7)|
|研究室: 承曦樓 904 (by appointment)||Course website: https://www.shulilai.idv.tw|
1.Longman Academic Reading Series: Reading Skills for College (2), published by Pearson Education, Inc. (2014). NT $485 (原價570) 東華書局代理 (黃政瑋先生 0912-278-109; 02-2311-4027#407)
2. Online materials and handouts.
|Overview of the course
This is a one-year four-skill integrated course which prepares students to become more effective and confident readers. While the focus will be on academic reading and vocabulary, this class will also encourage students to discuss and write about the ideas they discovered in the readings, aiming to make them better speakers and writers of English as well. Students will engage in a variety of activities, including discussion, group activities, and group presentation.
Quizzes & Assignments (in-class & after-class): 40% Midterm Exam: 20% Project: 25% TOEIC: 15% ( 為配合高教深耕計畫，本課程實施英語文能力檢測，佔學期成績15%)
1. If you have to miss a class for an unavoidable reason (e.g., sick leave, injury, family emergency), please email me in advance.
2. No late assignments or make-up tests will be allowed.
3. Please switch your mobile phone to silent mode during class time. Unless it’s used for dictionary lookup or for information searching, please don’t use your mobile phone during class time.
4. There will be quizzes and exams based on the materials in the textbooks and the materials presented in class. Please preview and review the class materials every week.
|Preview Chapter 1|
|9/18||Chapter 1 Reading One Tony the traveler
Do you like traveling?
|外商英語如何說||1. Finish reading Tony the Traveler.|
|9/25||1. Chapter 1 Reading One Tony the traveler
2. Tony’s website
3. The Blind Traveller trying to visit every country in the world – BBC Travel Show (Video)
|1. Finish the exercises on Page 5, 6, & 7.
2. Preview Reading Two
|10/2||Chapter 1 Reading Two
The benefits of studying abroad
|1. Finish the exercises on Page 12, 13, 14.
2. Review Reading Two
|10/9||Language Proficiency Test||Preview Chapter 2 Reading 1 Mangoes and Magnolias.|
|10/16||Chapter 2 Reading One
Mangoes and Magnolias
1. Pumpkin season
2. Pumpkin season
|Preview Chapter 2 Reading 2|
|10/23||Chapter 2 Reading Two
Quiz 1 (Vocabulary only)
|International Sloth Day
|10/30||Discussion and Review||How to make a jack o lantern
The history of Jack o Lantern
|11/13||Guideline of the group project|
|11/20||Presentation Skill (1)|
|11/27||Presentation Skill (2)|
|12/4||1. Eight secrets of success (Speed, body language, quality of ppt)
2. What’s wrong with our food system (speed, body language
3. A twelve-year-old app developer
4. Try something new for 30 days (speed, body language, facial expression, powerpoint slide, humor)
5. Grit: The power of passion and perseverance.
– Handout on presentation Skills
– Origin of Thanksgiving
|12/11||G1 Boy in the bubble
G2 Love story
|12/18||G3 Castle on the hill
G4 A whole new world
|12/25||G5 Lose Yourself
G6 Last Christmas
G7 Bye Bye
|1/1||Holiday (No Class)|
1. Cambridge (https://dictionary.cambridge.org/zht)
2. Longman (https://www.ldoceonline.com)
3. Oxford (https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us)
4. Yahoo kimo (https://tw.dictionary.search.yahoo.com)
1. Random name picker! https://www.classtools.net/random-name-picker/