2020 Fall: 五專財稅四甲 English 4
|Course: English 4||授課教師: 賴淑麗 Shu-li (Sally) Lai|
|授課班級: 五專財稅系四年級||學分/時數: 3/3|
|Email: email@example.com||Time/Location: Tuesday (9:10 to 12:10) Room 7|
|研究室: 承曦樓 904 (by appointment)||Course website: https://www.shulilai.idv.tw|
1.Longman Academic Reading Series: Reading Skills for College (2), published by Pearson Education, Inc. (2014). NT $485 (原價570) 東華書局代理 (黃先生 0912-278-109; 02-2311-4027#407)
2. New TOEIC Test 多益一站600字彙 眾文出版社 (藍小姐 02-8369-1198 ext: 24 )
3. Online materials and handouts.
|Overview of the course
This is a one-year four-skill integrated course that prepares students to become more effective and confident readers. While the focus will be on academic reading and vocabulary, this class will also encourage students to discuss and write about the ideas they discovered in the readings, aiming to make them better speakers and writers of English as well. Students will engage in a variety of activities, including discussion, group activities, and group presentations.對應校核心能力: 外語能力、專業素養
Quizzes & Assignments (in-class & after-class): 40% Midterm Exam: 20% Project: 25% TOEIC: 15% ( 為配合高教深耕計畫，本課程實施英語文能力檢測，佔學期成績15%)
1. If you have to miss a class for an unavoidable reason (e.g., sick leave, injury, family emergency), please email me in advance.
2. No late assignments or make-up tests will be allowed.
3. Please switch your mobile phone to silent mode during class time. Unless it’s used for dictionary lookup or for information searching, please don’t use your mobile phone during class time.
4. There will be quizzes and exams based on the materials in the textbooks and the materials presented in class. Please preview and review the class materials every week.
|Date||Major Textbook||TOEIC Book||Assignments|
|1. Have your two books ready.
2. Begin to work on your vocabulary book.
3. Watch the video (study less, study mart) at least twice.
|9/22||Chapter 1 Cultural studies: The lessons of travel
Chapter 1.1 Tony the Traveller
|TOEIC Unit 1 (2-11)||1. Preview Chapter 1.1. Look up difficult words in the dictionary in advance.
2. Work on your TOEIC vocabulary (2-11)
|9/29||– Chapter 1 Cultural studies: The lessons of travel
– Reading One: Tony the Traveller
– Tony’s website
|TOEIC Unit 1 (12-21)||1. Be ready for the first quiz next week.
2. Finish the exercises (Reading One)
3. Explore Tony’s website.
|10/6||– Reading One: Tony the Traveller
– Tony’s website
– Quiz 1
– TOEIC official website
|TOEIC Unit 1 (21-26) Unit 2 (27-31)||1. Preview Chapter 1.2. Look up the difficult words in the dictionary in advance.
2. As a group, post the difficult sentences (1-2) on BB (due on Saturday night).
|10/13||– Reading Two: The benefits of studying abroad
– 25 reasons to study abroad
– Top 5 challenges of studying abroad
– Somewhere over the rainbow
– An introduction to the singer
|TOEIC Unit 2 (32-41)||1. 單字考順延一周
2. Review the article
3. Practice TOEIC
|10/20||10/19 (Monday) 8.9
TOEIC Proficiency Test (Computer Lab 承曦樓 702)
|TOEIC Unit 2 (42-51)|
|10/27||– Reading Two: The benefits of studying abroad
– Organization of the article
– Guessing from the context
|TOEIC Unit 2 (53-62)||Preview Chapter 2.1. As a group, post the difficult sentences (1-2) on BB (due on Saturday night).|
|11/3||Chapter 2.1 Mangoes and Magnolias
Day of the dead (10/31 to 11/2)
What is the Day of the Dead?
|Be ready for Quiz 3 next week (on the four book chapters)|
|11/10||Chapter 2.3 Book review of Mixed: An anthology of short fiction about the multiracial experience
Quiz 3 (Vocabulary from Chapter 1.1, 1.2, 2.1, 2.3)
1. Chapter 1.1, 1.2, 2.1, 2.3
2. TOEIC Vocabulary 53 to 62)
3. TOEIC Vocabulary (Q1 & Q2)
4. Halloween history & tradition
|TOEIC Unit 3 (64-71)||Preview Chapter 3.1 Robots improve health care, helping doctors, nurses, and patients. Post the difficult sentences (1-2_ on BB (due on 11/21, Saturday night)|
|11/24||– Chapter 3.1 Robots improve health care, helping doctors, nurses, and patients
|TOEIC Unit 3 (72-82)||1. Explore the website Lyricstraining and try some of the songs.
2. Begin to work on your term project.
3. Be ready for the quiz next week.
|12/1||– Chapter 3.1 Robots improve health care, helping doctors, nurses, and patients
|TOEIC Unit 4 (84-91)|
|12/8||Chapter 3.3 Water is shown to help people lose weight||TOEIC Unit 4 (92-102)|
|12/15||G1 Girls like you, by Maroon 5 (Samantha, Tiffany, Ivy, Tina, Peggy, Maxine)
G2 Heal the world, by Michael Jackson (Ray, Andy, Eric, Jordan)
G3 Summer, by Calvin Harris (William, Polly, Jim, Jerry)
|TOEIC Unit 5 (104-111)|
|12/22||G4 We are never ever getting back together, by Taylor Swift (Jerie, Yuki, Jamie, Celine, Oscar)
G5 Flashlight, by Jessie (Amy, Jenny, Debbie, Peggy)
G6 Try everthing, by Shakira (Apple, Nina, Mable, Ginny, Debbie)
|TOEIC Unit 5 (112-121)|
|12/29||G7 Take me home, country road, by John Denver (Clover, Jessica, Sharinie, Emily, Kaelyn)
G8 Shallow, by Lady Gaga (Cathrine, Julie, Jenny, Duke, Ryan, Cheverry)
G9 Head above water, by Avril Lavigne (Anna, Anna, Vermouth, Houdini, Ryze)
|TOEIC Unit 5 (122-124)|
|1/5||Chapter 3.1 Robots improve health care, helping doctors, nurses, and patients
Review and check the exercise
Quiz 5 (TOEIC p.84 to p.124)
|1/12||Quiz 6 (Chapter 3.1 & Guidelines for the presentation skills)
(TOEIC: Unit 6 & Unit 7)
2. Longman (https://www.ldoceonline.com)
3. Oxford (https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us)
4. Yahoo kimo (https://tw.dictionary.search.yahoo.com)
1. Random name picker! https://www.classtools.net/random-name-picker/