2020 Fall: 大二通識 English 3
|Course: English 3||授課教師: 賴淑麗 Shu-li (Sally) Lai|
|授課班級: 四技通識英文(3)||學分/時數: 2/2|
|Email: email@example.com||Time/Location: Wednesday (15:20 to 17:10) Room 7|
|研究室: 承曦樓 904 (by appointment)||Course website: https://www.shulilai.idv.tw|
1.Longman Academic Reading Series: Reading Skills for College (2), published by Pearson Education, Inc. (2014). NT $485 (原價570) 東華書局代理 (黃先生 0912-278-109; 02-2311-4027#407)
2. Six Minute English
3. TED Talk
|Overview of the course
This is a one-semester four-skill integrated course. While the focus of the first-year English class was on reading and vocabulary, the second year will do more speaking and listening. Students will have the opportunity to read and discuss the articles in pairs, in groups, and to share in front of the class. They will also be encouraged to write their ideas. Class activities include discussion, group activities, and group presentations.
Quizzes & Assignments (in-class & after-class): 48% Group Presentation: 15% Project: 22% TOEIC: 15% ( 為配合高教深耕計畫，本課程實施英語文能力檢測，佔學期成績15%)
1. If you have to miss a class for an unavoidable reason (e.g., sick leave, injury, family emergency), please email me in advance.
2. No late assignments or make-up tests will be allowed.
3. Please switch your mobile phone to silent mode during class time. Unless it’s used for dictionary lookup or for information searching, please don’t use your mobile phone during class time.
4. There will be quizzes and exams based on the materials in the textbooks and the materials presented in class. Please preview and review the class materials every week.
Six Minute English
|1. Print out the pdf file and bring it in next week (-2 points)
2. Listen to the audio file 2 times and look up the difficult words in advance. Be ready for the discussion next week.
|9/23||Will Covid-19 change cities?||1. Background information
2. Issue discussed
3. Some good words to learn
4. Your comments on the topic
5. Questions for your audience
* Upload the ppt to BB 2 days before your presentation.
* Printout one copy for me when you present in class.
|1. Listen to “The food delivery revolution” at least twice and be ready for the discussion in class.
2. Review the article we discussed today.
|9/30||Topic 1: The food delivery revolution||Jacky, Sandy, Lana, Angela|
|10/7||Topic 2: Could you give up fast fashion?||Joseph, Sabrina, Trista, Ginna|
|10/14||Topic 3: Is it good to disagree?||Doris, Zoey, Annie, Cole||1. How to Disagree in English Politely
2. Disagree politely
3. Phrases for expressing an opinion
|10/21||Topic 4: Why does seeing someone yawn make you yawn?||Elva, Allen, Dyrus, Kelly||1. Why Is Yawning Contagious?|
|10/28||Topic 5: Why take a gap year?
1, Gap Year
2. Why take a gap year?
3. Benefits of a gap year
|Jill, Annie, Grace, Jimmy||1. Should I take a gap year? (Pros & Cons)|
|11/4||Topic 6: Inside the mind of a master procrastinator
– Wait But Why
– 專訪 Wait But Why 創辦人 Tim Urban
|Ian, Rae, Harry, Jenny|
|11/11||– More discussion on topic 6
– Quiz on topic 6
– TED talk and Language Learning (ppt)
|11/18||Guidelines for the group project
Topic 7: What makes a good life?
|Charlotte, Louis, William, Anny(Annie)|
|11/25||Topic 8: Grit: The power of passion and perseverance||Wendy, Lisa, Ken Grace|
|12/2||深耕計畫 TOEIC Test 後測
Project: begin to work on your parts and practice with your members
|12/9||Topic 9: Steve Jobs’ 2005 Stanford Commencement Address (text)
Pixar Award Winning
1. 2017 Oscar winner Piper by Pixar
|Emily, Cindy, Sean, Ina|
G1 Is punctuality important?
G2 Will humans become extinct?
G3 How much sleep do you really need?
G4 Could humans live in underwater cities?
G5 The 15-minute city
G6 The power of crying
G7 Street food: Why is it becoming so popular?
G8 Tips for parents coping with kids at home
G9 Improving your memory
|1/6||TOEIC Fluency Test (15%) Important!!!|
2. Longman (https://www.ldoceonline.com)
3. Oxford (https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us)
4. Yahoo kimo (https://tw.dictionary.search.yahoo.com)
1. Random name picker! https://www.classtools.net/random-name-picker/