2020 Spring: 五專財稅四年甲班
|Course: English 4||授課教師: 賴淑麗 Shu-li (Sally) Lai|
|授課班級: 五專財稅系四年級||學分/時數: 3/3|
|Email: email@example.com||Time/Location: Tuesday (9:10 to 12:00 am.)|
|研究室: 承曦樓 904 (by appointment)||Course website: https://www.shulilai.idv.tw|
1.Longman Academic Reading Series: Reading Skills for College (2), published by Pearson Education, Inc. (2014). NT $485 (原價570) 東華書局代理 (黃政瑋先生 0912-278-109; 02-2311-4027#407)
2. New TOEIC Test 多益一站800字彙 眾文出版社 (王小姐 02-8369-1198 ext: 24 ) NT$277 (原價 $350)
3. Online materials and handouts.
|Overview of the course
This is a one-year four-skill integrated course that prepares students to become more effective and confident readers. While the focus will be on academic reading and vocabulary, this class will also encourage students to discuss and write about the ideas they discovered in the readings, aiming to make them better speakers and writers of English as well. Students will engage in a variety of activities, including discussion, group activities, and group presentations.
Quizzes & Assignments (in-class & after-class): 40% Midterm Exam: 20% Term Project: 25% TOEIC: 15% ( 為配合高教深耕計畫，本課程實施英語文能力檢測，佔學期成績15%)
1. If you have to miss a class for an unavoidable reason (e.g., sick leave, injury, family emergency), please email me in advance.
2. No late assignments or make-up tests will be allowed.
3. Please switch your mobile phone to silent mode during class time. Unless it’s used for dictionary lookup or for information searching, please don’t use your mobile phone during class time.
4. There will be quizzes and exams based on the materials in the textbooks and the materials presented in class. Please preview and review the class materials every week.
|Date||Major Textbook||TOEIC Book||Assignments|
Quiz 1: TOEIC (Unit 6)
|#1 Preview Chapter 3.1 Robots improve health care, helping doctors, nurses, and patients.
As a group, post 1 or 2 sentences your group does not quite understand on Blackboard. (Due on 3/8)
|3/10||Unit 3.1 Robots improve health care, helping doctors, nurses, and patients
Quiz 2: TOEIC (Unit 7)
How to talk about health problems in English?
|TOEIC 168-177||#2 Watch the video and learn how to talk about health problems in English. Look up the dictionary for any unknown words.
– Review the article and finish the exercises on page 57 & 58.
|3/17||Unit 3.1 Robots improve health care, helping doctors, nurses, and patients||TOEIC 178-186||#3 Preview Chapter 3.3 Water is shown to help people lose weight and post your sentences on BB. (due on 3/22)|
|3/24||Unit 3.3 Water is shown to help people lose weight
Quiz 3 TOEIC & Chapter 3.1
|TOEIC 188-197||#4 Preview Chapter 5.1 Types of Intelligence and post your sentences on BB. (due on 3/29)|
|3/31||Discuss the exercise (Unit 3.3)
5.1 Types of Intelligence (p.106)
Multiple intelligence (video1; video 2)
|TOEIC 198-208||#5 Preview Chapter 5.2 Transforming students’ motivation to learn and post your sentences on BB. (due on 4/5)
|4/7||5.2 Transforming students’ motivation to learn (p.113)||TOEIC 210-217|
|4/14||Review and discussion
Quiz 4 TOEIC and Vocabulary from Chapter 5.1 & 5.2
|4/28||Guideline to the term project
|TOEIC 218-227||#6 Preview Chapter 6.1 The one week job and post your sentence on BB. (due on 5/3)|
|5/5||Chapter 6.1 The one week job: 52 jobs in 52 weeks
Members and news ready
|TOEIC 228-237||Finish the exercises (Chapter 6.1).
More practice on your project.
|5/12||Be ready to share your work so far. (all the group)||TOEIC 238-246|
|5/19||Presentation 1 (G1 to G9)||TOEIC 248-257|
|5/26||Presentation 2 (G10 to G19)||TOEIC 258-264|
For Independent study:
1. VOA Learning English
2. Six Minute English
|6/16||Discussion and wrap-up||Grammarly
1. Cambridge bilingual dictionary (https://dictionary.cambridge.org/zht)
2. Longman (https://www.ldoceonline.com)
3. Oxford (https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us)
4. Yahoo Kimo (https://tw.dictionary.search.yahoo.com)
1. Random name picker! https://www.classtools.net/random-name-picker/
2. Total (https://www.classtools.net/random-name-picker/4_K7UFhS)
1. News Project (link)