2020 Spring: 大一通識
|Course: English 2||授課教師: 賴淑麗 Shu-li (Sally) Lai|
|授課班級: 大一英文||學分/時數: 2/2|
|Email: email@example.com||Time/Location: Wednesday (13:30 to 15:15)|
|研究室: 承曦樓 904 (by appointment)||Course website: https://www.shulilai.idv.tw|
Longman Academic Reading Series: Reading Skills for College (2), published by Pearson Education, Inc. (2014) Online materials and handouts.
|Overview of the course
This is a one-year four-skill integrated course that prepares students to become more effective and confident readers. While the focus will be on academic reading and vocabulary, this class will also encourage students to discuss and write about the ideas they discovered in the readings, aiming to make them better speakers and writers of English as well. Students will engage in a variety of activities, including discussion, group activities, and group presentations.
Quizzes & Assignments (in-class & after-class): 40% Midterm Exam: 20% Project: 25%
TOEIC: 15% ( 為配合高教深耕計畫，本課程實施英語文能力檢測，佔學期成績15%)
To be announced
1. If you have to miss a class for an unavoidable reason (e.g., sick leave, injury, family emergency), please email me in advance.
2. No late assignments or make-up tests will be allowed.
3. Please switch your mobile phone to silent mode during class time. Unless it’s used for dictionary lookup or for information searching, please don’t use your mobile phone during class time.
4. There will be quizzes and exams based on the materials in the textbooks and the materials presented in class. Please preview and review the class materials every week.
TOEIC Preparation Resource
|#1 Preview Robots improve health care, helping doctors, nurses, and patients.
As a group, post 1 or 2 sentences your group does not quite understand on Blackboard. (Due on 3/9)
|3/11||Unit 3.1 Robots improve health care, helping doctors, nurses, and patients
How to talk about health problems in English?
|#2 Watch the video and learn how to talk about health problems in English. Look up the dictionary for any unknown words.
– Review the article and finish the exercises on page 57 & 58.
|3/18||Unit 3.1 Robots improve health care, helping doctors, nurses, and patients
Quiz 1: Vocabulary, T&F
|#3 Preview Chapter 3.3 Water is shown to help people lose weight and post your sentences on BB. (due on 3/23)|
|3/25||3.3 Water is shown to help people lose weight||#4 Preview Chapter 5.1 Types of Intelligence and post your sentences on BB. (due on 3/30)|
|4/1||Discuss the exercise (Unit 3.3)
5.1 Types of Intelligence (p.106)
Multiple intelligence (video1; video 2)
|#5 Preview Chapter 5.2 Transforming students’ motivation to learn and post your sentences on BB. (due on 4/6)|
|4/8||Chapter 5.2 Transforming students’ motivation to learn|
|4/15||Review and discussion
Quiz 2 (Vocabulary from Chapter 3.3, 5.1, 5.2)
|4/29||Term Project (25%)
– Members (link) Find your member and decide the news you would like to report (Tue. 5/5 midnight)
– Guideline to the term project
– News website
|#6 Preview Chapter 6.1 The one week job and post your sentence on BB. (due on 5/4)
|5/6||Chapter 6.1 The one week job: 52 jobs in 52 weeks
Members and news ready
|#7 PPT ready and upload it to BB. (due on 5/11).
Finish the exercises.
|5/13||Chapter 6.1 The one week job: 52 jobs in 52 weeks
Members and news ready
More discussion on the project.
|#8 Your talkscript ready on BB.|
|5/20||TOEIC (深耕計畫 15%) 地點: 承曦樓 702 請自備耳機|
|5/27||Presentation 1 (G1to G9)|
|6/3||Presentation 2 (G10 to 18)|
|6/10||1. Discussion on the midterm exam.
2. Some online materials
A. VOA Learning English
B. MIT OpenCourseWare
|6/17||Quiz 3 Chapter 6.1 and 20 words from the project|
1. Cambridge bilingual dictionary (https://dictionary.cambridge.org/zht)
2. Longman (https://www.ldoceonline.com)
3. Oxford (https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us)
4. Yahoo Kimo (https://tw.dictionary.search.yahoo.com)
1. Random name picker! https://www.classtools.net/random-name-picker/
2. Names (total) https://www.classtools.net/random-name-picker/35_MDiMbi
1. News Project (link)