2021 Spring: 五專財金四甲
A tentative syllabus
|Course: English 4||授課教師: 賴淑麗 Shu-li (Sally) Lai|
|授課班級: 五專財金系||學分/時數: 3/3|
|Email: email@example.com||Time/Location: Monday (13:30 to 16:10)/Room2|
|研究室: 承曦樓 904 (by appointment)||Course website: https://www.shulilai.idv.tw|
1.Longman Academic Reading Series: Reading Skills for College (2), published by Pearson Education, Inc. (2014). NT $485 (原價570) 東華書局代理 (黃政瑋先生 0912-278-109; 02-2311-4027#407)
2. New TOEIC Test 多益一站600字彙 眾文出版社 (藍小姐 02-8369-1198 ext: 24 )
3. Online materials and handouts.
|Overview of the course
This is a one-year four-skill integrated course that prepares students to become more effective and confident readers. While the focus will be on academic reading and vocabulary, this class will also encourage students to discuss and write about the ideas they discovered in the readings, aiming to make them better speakers and writers of English as well. Students will engage in a variety of activities, including discussion, group activities, and group presentations.
1. Midterm Exam: 20%
2. Final Exam: 20%
3. Assignment & Quizzes: 40%
4. Participation: 10%
5. TOEIC: 10%
1. If you have to miss a class for an unavoidable reason (e.g., sick leave, injury, family emergency), please email me in advance.
2. No late assignments or make-up tests will be allowed.
3. Please switch your mobile phone to silent mode during class time. Unless it’s used for dictionary lookup or for information searching, please don’t use your mobile phone during class time.
4. There will be quizzes and exams based on the materials in the textbooks and the materials presented in class. Please preview and review the class materials every week.
|Date||Major Textbook||TOEIC Book||Assignments|
|2/22||Chapter 6.1 The one week job: 52 jobs in 52 weeks||Unit 6 & Unit 7||1. Be ready for the Quiz next time.
2. Preview Chapter 6.2 and post your questions on BB (due on Feb. 26)
3. Check Holland’s six personality types and be familiar with them.
Holland’s six personality types
|3/1||Holiday (No Class)
Holland’s six personality types
|3/8||Quiz 1 (TOEIC Book Unit 6 & Unit 7)
Chapter 6.2 Flip flops and Facebook breaks: Millennials enter the workplace
X, Y, Z 世代
|Unit 8||Finish the exercises (Chapter 6.2)|
|3/15||Chapter 6.3 Eight keys to employability
What’s the key to happiness
|1. Listening practice
2. Review Chapter 6.2
|3/22||Chapter 6.3 Eight keys to employability
1. T/F Questions and 6 keywords from Chapter 6.2 (60%)
2. TOEIC Book Unit 8 (40%)
|3/29||Chapter 8 Public Speaking
Reading Two: The best way to structure a speech
|4/5||Holiday (No Class)
|Unit 10||Outside Reading:
Millennials in the workplace
Chapter 8 Public Speaking
Reading One: The power of public speech
2. President Obama’s Best Speeches
|4/26||Discuss Midterm Project
1. The BFG (1982 book): to preview
2. Roald Dahl (the story writer)
3. BFG (2016 movie)
|1. Go online and read more information about BFG.
2. Listen to “The food delivery revolution” in Six-Minute English once before we meet next week.
3. Preview Chapter 9.1 Social Entrepreneurship
|5/3||1. Listening Practice
2. Chapter 9.1 Social Entrepreneurship
|Unit 11||1. Listen to “The food delivery revolution” again and learn some of the important vocabulary (words in bold).
2. Finish the exercises (Chapter 9.1).
3. Practice your TOEIC on Easy Test System
|5/10||Quiz 4 (TOEIC Unit 11)
Social Entrepreneurship (A video)
Practice TOEIC on Easy Test System
|5/17||*** TOEIC (深根計畫後測) 全專四檢測, 請勿缺考. (因疫情在家上課, 暫停考試)
1. How to use Google Meet
2. Chapter 9.2 A Poverty-Free World
|1. Review Chapter 9.1 and finish the exercises.
2. Try this: https://www.youtube.com/user/crashcourse
|5/24||Chapter 9.2 A Poverty-Free World
Under the Sea
|1. Create a Coursera account
2. Find and enroll in the class: Speak English Professionally: In Person, Online & On the Phone
3. Finish Module 1 and Module 2: Six video clips
|5/31||TOEIC Test (computer & earphones, in a quiet room)|
|6/14||Holiday (No Class)|
1. Cambridge bilingual dictionary (https://dictionary.cambridge.org/zht)
2. Longman (https://www.ldoceonline.com)
3. Oxford (https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us)
4. Yahoo Kimo (https://tw.dictionary.search.yahoo.com)
1. Random name picker! https://www.classtools.net/random-name-picker/